- 1 Is Nassau safe for tourists?
- 2 What should I avoid in the Bahamas?
- 3 Is the water clear in Nassau Bahamas?
- 4 Can you walk around Nassau Bahamas?
- 5 What is bad about the Bahamas?
- 6 When should you not go to the Bahamas?
- 7 How many murders have there been in the Bahamas in 2020?
- 8 Are drugs legal in the Bahamas?
- 9 What is the most beautiful island in the Bahamas?
- 10 Are there free beaches in Nassau Bahamas?
- 11 Why is Bahamas water so clear?
- 12 What is the best shore excursion in Nassau Bahamas?
- 13 Do cell phones work in Bahamas?
- 14 How much cash should I bring to Bahamas?
- 15 What is there to do in Nassau Bahamas without excursion?
Is Nassau safe for tourists?
Country Summary: The vast majority of crime occurs on New Providence ( Nassau ) and Grand Bahama (Freeport) islands. In Nassau, exercise caution in the “Over the Hill” area (south of Shirley Street). Violent crime, such as burglaries, armed robberies, and sexual assault occur, but generally not in tourist areas.
What should I avoid in the Bahamas?
Eight rookie mistakes to avoid in the Bahamas
- TRAVELLING DURING HURRICANE SEASON IN THE BAHAMAS.
- RIDING IN UNMARKED TAXIS IN THE BAHAMAS.
- TAKING A CRUISE TO THE BAHAMAS.
- STICKING TO THE ATLANTIS IN THE BAHAMAS.
- EXPECTING PUNCTUALITY ON THE ISLAND.
- TRANSACTING WITH BEACH VENDORS IN THE BAHAMAS.
- WANDERING ALONE AT NIGHT IN THE BAHAMAS.
- SKIPPING THE GROCERY STORE.
Is the water clear in Nassau Bahamas?
Aside from Junkanoo Beach, the beaches of Nassau and Paradise Island are totally suitable for families with fine white sand, incredibly clear gem-toned waters and typically gentle sea waves. Few have restroom and shower facilities, but most are within walking distance of a bar or restaurant.
Can you walk around Nassau Bahamas?
Nassau is compact and easy to see in a day, which is quite convenient considering many visitors (coming off cruise ships) only have that long to see it.
What is bad about the Bahamas?
While safety has improved in the Bahamas, there is still violent crime, mainly in Nassau and the island of Grand Bahama, which includes the city of Freeport. Armed robberies, burglaries, sexual assault, and other violent crimes take place, along with purse snatchings.
When should you not go to the Bahamas?
Hurricane season, from June 1 until Nov. 30, is a time many travelers avoid the Bahamas. Like in the United States, the months of August, September and October present the highest risk for hurricane activity.
How many murders have there been in the Bahamas in 2020?
73 murders recorded in 2020. NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Overall crime decreased by 16 percent in 2020, statistics released by Commissioner of Police Paul Rolle yesterday revealed.
Are drugs legal in the Bahamas?
The possession or use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, cocaine, and ecstasy, is a criminal offense in The Bahamas and can result in time in prison. While visiting The Bahamas, you are subject to Bahamian law. Drug violators are arrested regularly, even for possession of small quantities.
What is the most beautiful island in the Bahamas?
Cat Island is one of the least frequented and the most beautiful of all the Bahamas out-islands. While it offers outstanding diving off its south shore, this remote island has hardly been touched by tourism, making it ideal for those seeking the ultimate in peace, and unchartered territory.
Are there free beaches in Nassau Bahamas?
While Nassau, Bahamas is known for its world-class resorts, you don’t need to spend a lot of money to relax by the water. You can visit some of the best beaches in Nassau free of charge — no fancy hotel suite required.
Why is Bahamas water so clear?
Oceans move east to west as the Earth spins because of its rotation, creating a phenomenon known as upwelling. In the Bahamas, meanwhile, coral reefs act as a barrier to break the force of upwellings. There are areas in the Pacific that still have clear water and heavy waves, but that’s because of what’s in the water.
What is the best shore excursion in Nassau Bahamas?
Find Things to Do in Nassau on Viator
- Atlantis Resort.
- Blue Lagoon Island Beach.
- Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim.
- Balmoral Island & Sting Ray Experience.
- Ardastra Gardens.
- Glass Bottom Boat.
- Resort Day Pass.
Do cell phones work in Bahamas?
Many US and Canadian carriers have roaming agreements with Batelco, the GSM cellular operator in the Bahamas. Therefore, while most phones will work, the rates are approximately $3.00 per minute plus tax for all in and out calls. USA calling Cards such as Sam’s Club and AT&T do not work in the Bahamas.
How much cash should I bring to Bahamas?
You should plan to spend around BS$159 ($161) per day on your vacation in the Bahamas, which is the average daily price based on the expenses of other visitors. Past travelers have spent, on average, BS$42 ($42) on meals for one day and BS$26 ($26) on local transportation.
What is there to do in Nassau Bahamas without excursion?
8 Free (or Cheap) Cruise Shore Excursions in Nassau, Bahamas
- Junkanoo Beach. As one of the few free beaches in Nassau that’s close to the cruise port, Junkanoo Beach can get crowded.
- Nassau Straw Market.
- Spray Fountains Outside Straw Market.
- Queen’s Staircase.
- Fort Fincastle.
- The Pirates of Nassau Museum.
- Ardastra Gardens and Zoo.